In Providing Financial Support
OTYO! (A Sigh of Relief) is a registered Non Governmental Organization (NGO) in Uganda and is a tax exempt 501(c) (3) Not for Profit in the United States. OTYO! will apply for grants as well as raise funds in the U.S., through fundraisers and donations, and distribute these funds as short term (project) and long term (program) grants to qualified CBOs. OTYO! has developed requests for proposals on the basis of sound research in public health promotions and in field research in Uganda under the direction of Jolly Bugari and with the support and assistance of the CBOs. Future plans for OTYO! include the development and management of two programs that will provide expert human resource support to the CBOs funded by OTYO!; and provide opportunities for students from U.S. universities for experiential service-learning through internships and volunteering.
In The Community Centre
The Sanitary Pad Project and partnership with other organizations, will create an engine of local sustainable income generation that will help sustain the Community Centre, gradually eliminate reliance on donations, and expand to selling the pads to schools and businesses in the region.
The Sanitary Pad Project aims to improve the health status of girls and women in the rural Kebisoni area by supporting the creation of a social business for producing and selling reusable sanitary pads, using locally available materials from local industries.
Other income generating projects will be implemented as the center grows.
The goals of the Sanitary Pad Project will be:
- Create an immediate supply of reusable sanitary napkin kits for the young girls in the program.
- Create a Vocational Training Program focused on seamstress and sewing skills. Part of the training in this curriculum will be the manufacture of the reusable pad kits to be “paid forward” to other girls in the region.
- Contribute to the sustaining of the Community Centre
- Connect with Non-Governmental Organizations, NGOs, teaching women and girl’s reproductive health and safety. Be a focal point for the development and expansion of Health Awareness programs to bring concepts such as feminine hygiene, programmed parenthood, and general wellbeing.
- Grow/expand the Vocational Training Program into a sustainable part-time industry providing a viable income-generating activity for impoverished women to manufacture pad kits.
- Create awareness in the global community, and to advocate that the Ugandan government allocate funding to prevent girls from missing school due to lack of sanitary pads.